*Indicates a student co-author that Dr. Lee mentored.
- Pace, G.T., Lee, S.J., & Grogan-Kaylor, A. (2019). Spanking and young children’s socioemotional development in low- and middle- income countries. Child Abuse & Neglect, 88, 84-95.
- Albuja, A., Sanchez, D.T., Lee, S.J., & *Lee, J.Y. (2018). Early paternal support behaviors moderate consonant smoking among unmarried parents. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs.
- Grogan-Kaylor, A., Ma, J., Lee, S.J., Castillo, B., *Ward, K., & Klein, S. (2018). Using Bayesian analysis to examine associations between spanking and child externalizing behavior across race and ethnic groups. Child Abuse & Neglect, 86, 257-266. doi: 10.1016/j.chiabu.2018.10.009
- Balu, R., Lee, S., & Steimle, S. (2018, July). Encouraging attendance and engagement in parenting programs: Developing a smartphone application with fathers, for fathers. OPRE Report 2018-68. Washington, DC: Office for Planning, Research and Evaluation, Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- *Lee, J.Y., & Lee, S.J. (2018, June). Fathers forgotten when it comes to services to help them be good parents, new study finds. The Conversation.
- *Lee, J.Y., *Knauer, H., Lee, S.J., MacEachern, M., & Garfield, C. (2018). Father-inclusive perinatal parent education programs: A systematic review. Pediatrics. doi: 10.1542/peds.2018-0437
- Lee, S.J., *Pace, G.T., *Lee, J.Y., & *Knauer, H. (2018). The association of fathers’ parental warmth and parenting stress to child behavior problems. Children and Youth Services Review, 91, 1-10. doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2018.05.020
- Lee, S.J., Sanchez, D.T., Grogan-Kaylor, A., *Lee, J.Y., & Albuja, A. (2018). Father early engagement behaviors and infant low birth weight. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 22, 1407-1417. doi.org/10.1007/s10995-018-2521-2
- Krings, A., Thomas, H., Lee, S.J., *Ali, A., & Miller, L. (2018). Mothers’ perceptions of educational quality in the context of urban austerity. Children and Youth Services Review, 88, 298-307. doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2018.03.017
- Grogan-Kaylor, A., Burlaka, V., Ma, J., Lee, S.J., Castillo, B., & Churakova, I. (2018). Predictors of parental use of corporal punishment in Ukraine. Children and Youth Services Review, 88, 66-73. doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2018.03.003
- Ma, J., Grogan-Kaylor, A., & Lee, S.J. (2018). Associations of neighborhood disorganization and maternal spanking with children's aggression: A fixed-effects regression analysis. Child Abuse & Neglect, 76, 106-116. doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2017.10.013
- *Lee, J.Y., & Lee, S.J. (2018). Caring is masculine: Stay-at-home fathers and masculine identity. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 19, 47-58. doi: 10.1037/men0000079
- Klika, J.B., Lee, S., & *Lee, J.Y. (2018). Prevention of Child Maltreatment In J.B. Klika & J.R. Conte (Eds.), The APSAC Handbook on Child Maltreatment, Fourth Edition (pp. 235-251). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Afifi, T.O., Ford, D., Gershoff, E.T., Merrick, M., Ports, K., Grogan-Kaylor, A., MacMillan, H., Holden, G., Taylor, C.A., Lee, S.J., & Bennett, R.P. (2017). Spanking and adult mental health impairment: The case for the designation of spanking as an Adverse Childhood Experience. Child Abuse & Neglect, 71, 24-31. doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2017.01.014
- Gershoff, E.T., Lee, S.J., & Durrant, J. (2017). Promising intervention strategies to reduce parents’ use of spanking and physical punishment. Child Abuse & Neglect, 71, 9-23. doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2017.01.017
- Taylor, C.A., Fleckman, J.A., & Lee, S.J. (2017). Attitudes, beliefs, and perceived norms about corporal punishment and related training needs among members of the "American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children". Child Abuse & Neglect, 71, 56-68. doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2017.04.009
- Lee, S.J. (2017, March). Introduction to the Special Issue: Evidence Supports APSAC’s Position Calling to End Corporal Punishment in all U.S. Homes and Schools. APSAC Advisor.
- Lee, S.J., Walsh, T.B. & *Lee, J.Y. (2017). Mobile technology in social work practice. In: Digital Social Work: Cases Across Fields of Practice.
- Lee, S.J., *Hoffman, G., & Harris, D. (2016). Community-based participatory research (CBPR) needs assessment of parenting support programs for fathers. Children and Youth Services Review, 66, 76-84. DOI: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2016.05.004
- Lee, S.J., *Krings, A., *Rose, S., *Dover, K., *Ayoub, S., & *Salman, F. (2016). Racial inequality and the implementation of emergency management laws in economically distressed urban areas. Children and Youth Services Review, 70, 1-7. DOI: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2016.08.016
- *Alford, B., & Lee, S.J. (2016). Toward complete inclusion: Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender military service members after Don’t-Ask-Don’t-Tell repeal. Social Work, 61, 257-265. DOI: 10.1093/sw/sww033
- Altschul, I., Lee, S.J., & Gershoff, E.T. (2016). Hugs, not hits: Warmth and spanking as predictors of child social competence. Journal of Marriage and Family, 78, 695-714. DOI: 10.1111/jomf.12306
- Taylor, C.A., Al-Hiyari, R., Lee, S.J., Priebe, A., Guerrero, L.W., & Bales, A.E. (2016). Beliefs and ideologies linked with approval of corporal punishment: A content analysis of online comments. Health Education Research, 31, 563-575. DOI:10.1093/her/cyw029
- Lee, S.J., & Altschul, I. (2015). Spanking of young children: Do immigrant and U.S. born Hispanic parents differ? Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 30, 475-498. DOI: 10.1177/0886260514535098
- Lee, S.J., Altschul, I. & Gershoff, L. (2015). Wait until your father gets home? Fathers’ and mothers’ spanking and development of child aggression. Children and Youth Services Review, 52, 158-166. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2014.11.006
- Lee, S.J., & *Walsh, T.B. (2015). Using technology in social work practice: The mDad (Mobile Device Assisted Dad) case study. Advances in Social Work, 16, 107-124.
- Kim, J., Lee, S.J., Taylor, C.A., & Guterman, N.B. (2014). Dyadic profiles of parental disciplinary behavior and links with parenting context. Child Maltreatment, 19, 79-91. DOI: 10.1177/1077559514532009
- Lee, S.J., Grogan-Kaylor, A., & Berger, L. (2014). Parental spanking of 1-year-old children and subsequent Child Protective Services involvement. Child Abuse & Neglect, 38, 875-883. DOI: 10.1016/j.chiabu.2014.01.018
- Lee, S.J. (2013). Paternal and household characteristics associated with child neglect and Child Protective Services involvement. Journal of Social Service Research, 39(2), 171-187. DOI: 10.1080/01488376.2012.744618
- Lee, S.J., Altschul, I., & Gershoff, E.T. (2013). Does warmth moderate longitudinal associations between maternal spanking and child aggression in early childhood? Developmental Psychology, 49(11), 2017-2028. DOI: 10.1037/a0031630
- Lee, S.J., *Neugut, T.B., Rosenblum, K.L., Tolman, R.T., Travis, W.J., & Walker, M.H. (2013). Sources of parenting support in early fatherhood: Perspectives of United States Air Force members. Children and Youth Services Review, 35(5), 908-915. DOI: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2013.02.012
- Lee, S.J., Sobeck, J.L., *Djelaj, V., & Agius, E. (2013). When practice and policy collide: Child welfare workers' perceptions of investigation processes. Children and Youth Services Review, 35(4), 634-641. DOI: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2013.01.004
- Lee, S.J., Taylor, C.A., Altschul, I., & Rice, J. (2013). Parental spanking and subsequent risk for child aggression in father-involved families of young children. Children and Youth Services Review, 35(9), 1476-1485. DOI: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2013.05.016
- *Brisebois, K., & Lee, S.J. (2012). Foster and kinship care: An examination of the legislation that aims to improve permanency and continuity of care in Ontario. Canadian Journal of the Humanities and Social Sciences, 3(1), 101-114.
- Lee, S.J. (2012). Child Advocacy Centers. In Postmus, J.L. (Ed.) Sexual Violence and Abuse: An Encyclopedia of Prevention, Impacts, and Recovery. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC – CLIO.
- Lee, S.J. (2012). Child Protective Services. In Postmus, J.L. (Ed.) Sexual Violence and Abuse: An Encyclopedia of Prevention, Impacts, and Recovery. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC – CLIO.
- Lee, S.J. (2012). Paternal depression and the family context. Family Science, 3(3-4), 233-236. DOI: 10.1080/19424620.2012.783531 [Invited commentary for a special issue on fathering.]
- Lee, S.J., Lansford, J.E., Pettit, G.S., Bates, J.E., & Dodge, K.A. (2012). Parental agreement of reporting parent to child aggression using the Conflict Tactics Scales. Child Abuse & Neglect, 36, 510-518. DOI: 10.1016/j.chiabu.2012.04.005
- Lee, S.J., Taylor, C.A., & Bellamy, J.L. (2012). Paternal depression and child neglect in father-involved families of young children. Child Abuse & Neglect, 36, 461-469. DOI: 10.1016/j.chiabu.2012.04.002
- Altschul, I., & Lee, S.J. (2011). Direct and mediated effects of nativity and other indicators of acculturation on Hispanic mothers’ use of physical aggression. Child Maltreatment, 16(4), 261-273. DOI: 10.1177/1077559511421523
- Lee, S.J., Altschul, I., *Shair, S.R., & Taylor, C.A. (2011). Hispanic fathers and risk for maltreatment in father-involved families of young children. Journal of the Society for Social Work and Research, 2(2), 125-142. DOI: 10.5243/jsswr.2011.7
- Lee, S.J., Kim, J., Taylor, C.A., & Perron, B.E. (2011). Profiles of disciplinary behaviors among biological fathers. Child Maltreatment, 16(1), 51-62. DOI: 10.1177/1077559510385841
- Lee, S.J., Perron, B.E., Taylor, C.A., & Guterman, N.B. (2011). Paternal psychosocial characteristics and corporal punishment of their 3-year old children. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 26(1), 71-87. DOI: 10.1177/0886260510362888
- Lee, S.J., *Yelick, A., *Brisebois, K., & *Banks, K.L. (2011). Low-income fathers’ barriers to participation in family and parenting programs. Journal of Family Strengths, 11(1), 1-16.
- Taylor, C.A., Lee, S.J., & Guterman, N.B., & Rice, J. (2010). Use of spanking for 3 year-old children and associated intimate partner aggression or violence. Pediatrics, 126(3), 415-424. DOI: 10.1542/peds.2010-0314
- Taylor, C.A., Manganello, J.A., Lee, S.J., & Rice, J.C. (2010). Mothers' spanking of 3-year-old children and subsequent risk of children's aggressive behavior. Pediatrics, 125(5), e1057-e1065. DOI: 10.1542/peds.2009-2678
- Guterman, N.B., Lee, Y., Lee, S.J., Waldfogel, J., & Rathouz, P. (2009). Fathers and maternal risk for physical child abuse. Child Maltreatment, 14, 277-290. DOI: 10.1177/1077559509337893
- Guterman, N.B., Lee, S.J., Taylor, C.A., & Rathouz, P. (2009). Parental perceptions of neighborhood processes, stress, personal control, and risk for physical child abuse and neglect. Child Abuse & Neglect, 33, 897-906. DOI: 10.1016/j.chiabu.2009.09.008
- Lee, S.J., Bellamy, J., & Guterman, N.B. (2009). Fathers, physical child abuse, and neglect: Advancing the knowledge base. Child Maltreatment, 14, 227-231. DOI: 10.1177/1077559509339388
- Lee, S.J., Bellamy, J., & Guterman, N.B. (2009, August). Guest editors of a special issue of Child Maltreatment, “Fathers, physical child abuse, and neglect: Advancing the knowledge base”.
- Lee, S.J., & Oyserman, D. (2009). Expecting to work, fearing homelessness: The possible selves of low income mothers. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 39, 1334-1355. DOI: 10.1111/j.1559-1816.2009.00484.x
- Taylor, C.A., Guterman, N.B., Lee, S.J., & Rathouz, P. (2009). Intimate partner violence, maternal stress, nativity, and risk for maternal maltreatment of young children. American Journal of Public Health, 99, 175-183. DOI: 10.2105/AJPH.2007.126722
- Lee, S.J., Altschul, I., & Mowbray, C.T. (2008). Using planned adaptation to implement evidence-based programs with new populations. American Journal of Community Psychology, 41, 290-303. DOI: 10.1007/s10464-008-9160-5
- Lee, S.J., Guterman, N.B., & Lee, Y. (2008). Risk factors for paternal physical child abuse. Child Abuse & Neglect, 32, 846-858. DOI: 10.1016/j.chiabu.2007.11.006
- Lee, S.J., & Oyserman, D. (2008). Possible selves theory: Key terms and processes. In: E.M. Anderman & L.H. Anderman (Eds.), Psychology of Classroom Learning (pp. 695-698). San Francisco: Gale.
- Lee, S. J., & Oyserman, D. (2007). Reaching for the future: The education-focused possible selves of low-income mothers. New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education, 114, 39-49. DOI: 10.1002/ace.255
- Lee, S.J., & Vinokur, A.D. (2007). Work barriers in the context of pathways to the employment of welfare-to-work clients. American Journal of Community Psychology, 40, 301-312. DOI: 10.1007/s10464-007-9144-x
- Lee, S.J., & Tolman, R.M. (2006). Childhood sexual abuse and adult work outcomes. Social Work Research, 30, 83-92. DOI: 10.1093/swr/30.2.83
- Lee, S.J. (2005). Facilitating the welfare-to-work transition for women with a mental health work barrier. Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, 12, 127-143. DOI: 10.1300/J137v12n02_07
- Crocker, J., Lee, S.J., & Park, L.E. (2004). The pursuit of self-esteem: Implications for good and evil. In A. Miller (Ed.), The social psychology of good and evil (pp. 271-302). New York: Guilford Press.